Students should apply for CARES funding by completing the COVID-19 Related Emergency Funding Request form available at https://virginia.academicworks.com/opportunities/9386. Please note this form will require Netbadge login credentials.
Report and Disclosure
Higher Education Emergency Relief Fund Reporting
Emergency Financial Aid Grants to Students -
University of Virginia
Report and Disclosure
Updated May 28, 2020
The University of Virginia (UVA) acknowledges it signed and returned to the U.S. Department of Education the Certification and Agreement on April 13, 2020, and gives the assurance that UVA will use 50% or more of the funds received under section 18004(a)(1) of the CARES Act to provide Emergency Financial Aid Grants to students.
- The total amount of funds UVA will receive from the U.S. Department of Education for distribution to students is $5,858,355.
- As of the date of this notice, $411,240 of this amount has been distributed to students.
- The estimated total number of students at UVA eligible to participate in programs under section 484 in Title IV of the Higher Education Act of 1965 and thus eligible to receive Emergency Financial Aid Grants under section 18004(a)(1) of the Cares Act is 11,273.
- The total number of students who have received an Emergency Financial Aid Grant under section 18004(a)(1) of the CARES Act through the date of this notice is 369.
- The methods used to determine which and how much students receive Emergency Financial Aid Grants are as follows:
- A currently enrolled undergraduate or graduate student for term of disbursement
- Eligible for funding under a Title IV of the Higher Education Act of 1965
- Maximum total award per student is $6,195 (largest Pell award).
- Awards are prioritized based on student type and financial need level.
- Awards will be provided to students for the following types of expenditures:
- educational technology
- health care
- child care
- transportation costs
- other costs associated with disruption to campus operations
- The instructions, directions, or guidance provided by UVA to students concerning the Emergency Financial Aid Grants were sent via University email and published on University websites. https://sfs.virginia.edu/operations https://vpsa.virginia.edu/funding/emergency
Instructions on how to complete our CARES Fund Application are provided on the UVA COVID-19 Emergency Funding Request at: https://virginia.academicworks.com/opportunities/9386